Re: testers needed: loader: use display pixel density for font autoselection

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:05:26 +0200
> On 23. Feb 2021, at 17:53, Jakob Alvermark <jakob_at_alvermark.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/23/21 12:27 PM, Toomas Soome via freebsd-current wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> I have done some work to make font pickup a bit smarter (hopefully better;), but my own ability to test is limited to one bugged supermicro and one MBP with retina display…
>>
>> The phab link ishttps://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849  <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849>
>>
>> I have built loader binaries as well (bios and uefi):
>> loader_lua<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua>
>> loader_lua.efi<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua.efi>
>>
>> To test, you should remove screen.font= line from loader.conf and test with different resolutions.
>>
>> thanks,
>> toomas
>

> Hi Toomas,
>

> I tested on five different setups.
>
> Surface Pro 10.6"_at_1920x1080:
>
> The loader menu looks different, the "FreeBSD" text is on the right side of the screen.

I think, this was the lua script bug we did fix not too long time ago.

> Otherwise, the font size is what I would call a normal size.
>

> Acer laptop 11.6"_at_1366x768:
>
> Menu looks fine. Almost fills the entire screen.
>
> The font feels a little too big.

The laptop built in displays usually do not give out EDID (we get physical dimensions from EDID), so there we fall back to try to get 80x25 terminal method.

> Thinkpad built in 13"_at_1920x1080:
>
> Menu looks fine, but a little slow.
>
> The font size is a little to big for my liking. When drm loads and mirrors the screen to my external 27" it looks comically large.

There is another issue - once DRM will kick in, we should re-consider the console attributes, like fonts, but at this time, the kernel itself only can use what was built in (8x16), or what loader was offering (default if present). So it is up to user to act there.

> Thinkpad external 24"_at_1920x1200:
>
> Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
>
> Font size is fine, but once drm loads it looks a bit squeezed (like thin and tall), but I guess that's drm detecting the built in 1920x1080, and the external display is stretched.
>

> Thinkpad external 27"_at_3840x2160:
>
> Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
>
> Font size is fine.
>
> Looking at the dmesg though, it says: VT(efifb): resolution 1920x1080
>

> Jakob

Those cases .. I suppose the menu was still at left side, not in middle? The thing there is, our menu is designed for 80x25 screen, with respective constants.

many thanks for testing,
toomas