Re: testers needed: loader: use display pixel density for font autoselection

From: Jakob Alvermark <jakob_at_alvermark.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:53:51 +0100
On 2/23/21 12:27 PM, Toomas Soome via freebsd-current wrote:
> hi!
>
> I have done some work to make font pickup a bit smarter (hopefully better;), but my own ability to test is limited to one bugged supermicro and one MBP with retina display…
>
> The phab link ishttps://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849  <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849>
>
> I have built loader binaries as well (bios and uefi):
> loader_lua<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua>
> loader_lua.efi<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua.efi>
>
> To test, you should remove screen.font= line from loader.conf and test with different resolutions.
>
> thanks,
> toomas

Hi Toomas,

I tested on five different setups.

Surface Pro 10.6"_at_1920x1080:

The loader menu looks different, the "FreeBSD" text is on the right side
of the screen.

Otherwise, the font size is what I would call a normal size.

Acer laptop 11.6"_at_1366x768:

Menu looks fine. Almost fills the entire screen.

The font feels a little too big.

Thinkpad built in 13"_at_1920x1080:

Menu looks fine, but a little slow.

The font size is a little to big for my liking. When drm loads and
mirrors the screen to my external 27" it looks comically large.

Thinkpad external 24"_at_1920x1200:

Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.

Font size is fine, but once drm loads it looks a bit squeezed (like thin
and tall), but I guess that's drm detecting the built in 1920x1080, and
the external display is stretched.

Thinkpad external 27"_at_3840x2160:

Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.

Font size is fine.

Looking at the dmesg though, it says: VT(efifb): resolution 1920x1080

Jakob