etcupdate, svnlite, documentation etc. following the transition of source to Git

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 08:31:36 +0000
On 01/01/2021 19:24, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 20:01:16 +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
>> At what should have been the end of my first upgrade since the
>> transition to git:
>>
>> cd /usr/src/freebsd-current && make installworld && etcupdate
>>
>> 𠄴– concluded with a successful installworld, then a few lines about
>> scanning and skipping certificates, then:
>>
>>> Failed to build new tree.
>> I see the manual page for etcupdate(8) but I'm not sure how to proceed.
> -s source          Specify an alternate source tree to use when building
>                     or extracting a “current” tree.  The default source
>                     tree is /usr/src.

With the transition to Git

==========================

If it's true that /usr/src is _no longer_ a predictable path to the
source files, then is it still appropriate for users' fortunes to
include this FreeBSD tip?

<https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/usr.bin/fortune/datfiles/freebsd-tips?id=6b8f0ba8e29699e1184c27e8c72574896fb0a661#n529>

It is, still, essentially a smart tip (thank you, Lars) however some
readers who have switched to the `git` approach might benefit from an
additional hint to use option -s

svnlite
=======

<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html>
still describes use of `svnlite` (not `git` or `got`) and, I guess,
might continue to do so for some time.

In this context, is `cd /usr/src` still true?

----

Thanks everyone