Re: etcupdate, svnlite, documentation etc. following the transition of source to Git

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 09:48:16 -0700
On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 1:31 AM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/01/2021 19:24, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 20:01:16 +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
> >> At what should have been the end of my first upgrade since the
> >> transition to git:
> >>
> >> cd /usr/src/freebsd-current && make installworld && etcupdate
> >>
> >> 𠄴– concluded with a successful installworld, then a few lines about
> >> scanning and skipping certificates, then:

> >> I see the manual page for etcupdate(8) but I'm not sure how to proceed.
> > -s source          Specify an alternate source tree to use when building
> >                     or extracting a “current” tree.  The default source
> >                     tree is /usr/src.
>

> With the transition to Git
>
> ==========================
>
> If it's true that /usr/src is _no longer_ a predictable path to the
> source files, then is it still appropriate for users' fortunes to
> include this FreeBSD tip?

That's 100% not true. The 'src' 'doc' and future 'ports' repos were named
that way so you could check them out directly into /usr to get the
traditional paths. The git team made no pronouncement about deprecating
this, and went to some minor trouble to ensure it would still be easy.

I personally haven't used /usr/src in 20 years, but that's just a character
defect on my part.

Warner