Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 12:57:43 +0000
On 04/01/2021 12:29, David Wolfskill wrote:

> Caveat: Since the switch, I have yet to encounter a case where I needed
> to merge a change in (e.g., because of a newly-created user, or there
> was a commit to /etc/crontab or /etc/newsyslog.conf).  I may find things
> rather "more interesting" when that happens; we shall see.

The process of merging changes in etcupdate(1) is essentially identical
to merging in mergemaster(1) -- the difference being that typically
etcupdate(1) will run to completion without any user intervention
needed, or else it will flag up that there are unresolved differences to
merge and flag to the user to run `etcupdate resolve` as a separate command.

This is much more time efficient than the typical mergemaster(1)
procedure, and I find it lends itself much more effectively to
automation through eg. ansible.  (ie. you can just run the first
`etcupdate` through automation across all of your server inventory, and
then go round and manually resolve anything that needs it.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew