Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:14:15 -0700
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 5:57 AM Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 04/01/2021 12:29, David Wolfskill wrote:
>
> > Caveat: Since the switch, I have yet to encounter a case where I needed
> > to merge a change in (e.g., because of a newly-created user, or there
> > was a commit to /etc/crontab or /etc/newsyslog.conf).  I may find things
> > rather "more interesting" when that happens; we shall see.
>
> The process of merging changes in etcupdate(1) is essentially identical
> to merging in mergemaster(1) -- the difference being that typically
> etcupdate(1) will run to completion without any user intervention
> needed, or else it will flag up that there are unresolved differences to
> merge and flag to the user to run `etcupdate resolve` as a separate
> command.

etcupdate does a full three merge, while mergemaster fakes it in a number
of ways. etcupdate directly keeps track of the resolutions, which is why
$FreeBSD$ doesn't matter so much to it.

mergemaster is deprecated and will likely be removed from the system
because it has no maintainer and is quite a bit harder to keep working than
etcupdate.

Warner