Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 05:32:05 -0800
On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 05:22:10AM -0800, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
> after checking out stable/12 with git, here a
> #   cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster
> #  sh ./mergemaster.sh -piPcv
>
> and then answering 'l' for left for most merges
> it seems to have sufficed.
> This was before installworld.

Yes.  However, the salient issue for me is that with the Ids in the
file, on subsequent invocations, mergemaster would leave the file as-is
unless the Id changed.  This wass usually on the order of a few times
per year for a given file.

Now that the Ids are no longer present, mergemaster will now prompt on
every invocation for each file locally modified on each machine.

This amounts to about a dozen opportunities to screw things up for each
machine daily for me; that's just not ... reasonable.

So far, etcupdate seems to be working out OK for me (as in "not
prompting for each of the files in question on each invocation").

> In case that helps.
> I keep that command parameter in /etc/motd for each time around lookup.

:-)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              david_at_catwhisker.org
An election becomes "disputed" merely when any party claims a disagreement

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.