Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 17:04:04 +0100
W dniu 04.01.2021 o 14:32, David Wolfskill pisze:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 05:22:10AM -0800, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
>> after checking out stable/12 with git, here a
>> #   cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster
>> #  sh ./mergemaster.sh -piPcv
>>
>> and then answering 'l' for left for most merges
>> it seems to have sufficed.
>> This was before installworld.
>
> Yes.  However, the salient issue for me is that with the Ids in the
> file, on subsequent invocations, mergemaster would leave the file as-is
> unless the Id changed.  This wass usually on the order of a few times
> per year for a given file.
>
> Now that the Ids are no longer present, mergemaster will now prompt on
> every invocation for each file locally modified on each machine.
>
> This amounts to about a dozen opportunities to screw things up for each
> machine daily for me; that's just not ... reasonable.
>
> So far, etcupdate seems to be working out OK for me (as in "not
> prompting for each of the files in question on each invocation").
>
>> In case that helps.
>> I keep that command parameter in /etc/motd for each time around lookup.

$FreeBSD$ tags can be regenerated locally with Git clean and smudge
filters[1] applied on local git repository. This helps to keep the track
of files updated by mergemaster(8) or etcupdate(8).

The filters should be applied to only the files important for
mergemagster. Applying filters to the whole repository degrades
performance.

[1]https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Attributes

Regards,
--