Re: CURRENT, usr/src on git, howto "mergemaster"?

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:32:16 -0800
On 2021-01-04 10:58, Enji Cooper wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 10:54 AM, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl
>>> <mailto:zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>> wrote:
>>
>> …
>>
>>> Terrible idea IMHO, but I am only the weak voice from the userbase.
>>>
>>> It's like deprecating old, well-worn hammer in the favour of the nail
>>> gun. Why not deprecate biff(1), pom(6), nvi(1) etc.?
>>
>> Marek,
>> 	I’m curious: have you used etcupdate before instead of mergemaster? If so
>> when? If you ran into issues (UX as well as functional): could you please
>> report them on bugs.freebsd.org <http://bugs.freebsd.org/> ?
>> 	etcupdate is a less fragile tool that’s broken my systems less when
>> compared with mergemaster.
>
> That reminds me, there is a feature gap (in the last 5~10 years I’ve used
> etcupdate) that I forgot about between mergemaster and etcupdate: in
> particular,
> mergemaster works when adding/removing new users and groups from
> /etc/passwd* and
> /etc/group, respectively, dealing with mtree files, the last time I checked.
> Apart
> from that, I don’t see a use for mergemaster (and in which case, the feature
> gap
> can be trimmed down/migrated to etcupdate). mergemaster has broken the
> configuration of my machines/VMs more than etcupdate has ever and I’ve used
> both
> tools for about the same time.
TBH I've continued to use mergemaster simply out of habit, because it was the
recommended/supported way of doing it from UPDATING.
It started acting odd awhile back. So I went to performing
mergemaster -viF
to simply burn through the $Id only changes. Then diff(1)ing the the 2 trees
to create a mega-patch which I could apply. I took that route with the
intention
of coming back to it to discover what the problem was. But never got around
to it.
I'm *really* glad this thread came about. Now I can move onto something that
actually works as intended -- assuming /etc/(group|passwd) bits get merged.
:-)

--Chris