Re: git non-time-sequential logs

From: grarpamp <grarpamp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 04:44:58 -0500
>    Why is it that the project can't continue to operate the SVN server in
> addition to Git, gatewaying with -current as is being done with 12-stable?
> As a developer, I definitely need monotonic revision numbers and reliable
> dates when I'm trying to troubleshoot a regression. I understand that you
> want better 'collaboration' in FreeBSD, but why can't we have the best of
> both worlds?

Unlimited best worlds are already free to exist.

In addition to the internet's good suggestions how to use the
forms of "revision numbers" already in git, and the internet's
many good tutorials on how to learn, use, adopt, adapt
and live breathe git, FreeBSD has chosen git for this time.
It appears unsensible to expect any opensource
project or OS to continue operation and maintenance of
N x different repos and different repo camps in perpetuity
because minor minority seeks some small feature. A feature
in shipped code for users ok, but not in raw project overhead.
Look at the entirety of Linux and Github's thousands of big projects...
who there is leaving git these days to get number feature?
The way forward is to explore how those git projects use git to
"troubleshoot regressions" as obviously they are performing
that function well everyday, without regard to such numbers
or dates. If people find they need numbers or anything else,
they can also get together and offsite host great import "gateway"
services (or on their own locally), publish wrapper script ports,
metainfo db's, etc... those best worlds are really unlimited and
infinitely customizable as needed, so much can be done there :)
Though since FreeBSD (and almost all world of public code
repos) has chosen git and abandoned SVN etc, it's unsensible
to expect a project efficiently on one repo (FreeBSD on git) to
really interact using such N x repos within itself... it's overhead.
The good people running those N x repos will need to speak git
upstream, or at least send up patch format. That is the normal
history of [mass effect] migrations.

For more "best worlds"...
Now can call to deploy RCS too, "because" pretty version
numbers, wastes zero time on security concerns, etc.
And call to pass around tarballs on tape too, "because"
tape is reliable and can hold every revision and iso and pkg
of every OS on one 580TiB raw cart, 2+PiB compressed ;)

And as far as which of N x services to examine offsite,
rather than boring numbers, perhaps it would be more
academically interesting to learn a bit about the crypto primitives,
distribution network, and database behind some things like
https://monotone.ca/

Or anything about any other repos far more novel or
new than any of those above. Since one day people might
have to leave some formerly thought "needed" feature of git
behind in order to be carried by and follow the world into
one of those repos in the future as well. They might
even be the ones abandoning their thoughts first in order
to carry and lead others there.