Re: git non-time-sequential logs

From: David G Lawrence <dg_at_dglawrence.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 20:06:34 -0800
> Yes. Git has never been a true/pure VCS. However, it does offer enough
> VCS-like features to create a shared distributed versioned tree that's
> useful to the project.
>
> As for date order, we could also add a commit hook that requires the date
> to be properly set, but that creates friction for developers. Is that
> friction worth the benefits? I don't think so, but as you say we could also
> add notes... but since there's no checkout by date feature, I'm not sure
> what good it would do.

Warner,

   Why is it that the project can't continue to operate the SVN server in
addition to Git, gatewaying with -current as is being done with 12-stable?
As a developer, I definitely need monotonic revision numbers and reliable
dates when I'm trying to troubleshoot a regression. I understand that you
want better 'collaboration' in FreeBSD, but why can't we have the best of
both worlds?

-DG

 *  David Greenman-Lawrence
* * Pave the road of life with opportunities.