Re: git non-time-sequential logs

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 11:08:16 -0700
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 10:51 AM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
wrote:

> --------
> Alan Somers writes:
>
> > I'll be more frank than phk: it sucks.  Git's commit dates are basically
> > useless.
>
> Git is not built as, or to be, version control.
>
> Git is built to be distrbuted collaboration tool.
>
> The designed-in version control aspect was always, and only, that
> the ranting finish guy *by fiat* had the golden tree.
>
> The fact that people, like us, dress git up and call it a VCS does
> not wash the stripes of the tiger.
>
> To me, personally, having a distributed collaboration tool has been
> much more valuable than any "pure" or "real" VCS ever were.

Yes. Git has never been a true/pure VCS. However, it does offer enough
VCS-like features to create a shared distributed versioned tree that's
useful to the project.

As for date order, we could also add a commit hook that requires the date
to be properly set, but that creates friction for developers. Is that
friction worth the benefits? I don't think so, but as you say we could also
add notes... but since there's no checkout by date feature, I'm not sure
what good it would do.

Warner