Git and complementary web interfaces (some fast but basic, others fuller-featured)

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 07:55:58 +0000
On 06/01/2021 14:34, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:

 > Git: timestamps
> Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alongside 'tree', click 'log'
> Thanks, but I wanted the file dates, not the log!
>
>> Also/alternatively there's the read-only mirror on GitHub so, for example:
>>
>> <https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/usr.bin/diff>
> I know, which is why I miss it on the FreeBSD main site.
>
> cheers!

Strictly speaking, main site <https://www.freebsd.org/> does still
direct developers to the Subversion repository and the Git mirror on GitHub.

Re: <https://wiki.freebsd.org/git>, things such as
<https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/doc-cvt.md#old-vs-new-url-translation-table>
"should be viewed as rough drafts for material for the handbook".

cgit describes itself as "hyperfast" with
<https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/about/#features> "basic repository browsing"
as a feature.

Beyond those basics, I guess that it will be appropriate to ensure
awareness of complementary web-based repository browsers including
GitHub and <https://gitlab.com/FreeBSD/> GitLab; these might be
described as fuller-featured (without explicitly describing them as
relatively slow). Awareness through the Developers menu at
<https://www.freebsd.org/> and so on.

HTH