Re: Git and complementary web interfaces (some fast but basic, others fuller-featured)

From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy_at_mips.inka.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 22:10:23 -0000 (UTC)
On 2021-01-07, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> cgit describes itself as "hyperfast" with
><https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/about/#features> "basic repository browsing"
> as a feature.
>
> Beyond those basics, I guess that it will be appropriate to ensure
> awareness of complementary web-based repository browsers including
> GitHub and <https://gitlab.com/FreeBSD/> GitLab;

Use of Git implies cloning the repository, so you have a local copy
of the repository and can run _local_ browsing tools to your heart's
desire.  E.g., you could set up your very own cgit web interface.

Personally, I'm fond of Got's curses-based repository browser tog(1).
I think that one is vaguely modeled on another tool called tig(1).
Undoubtedly, there are plenty of others.

The main value of Git web interfaces is easy browsing of foreign
repositories that you have not cloned.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy_at_mips.inka.de