Re: DRM problem installing kernel on main-c561-gc3e75b6c1

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:06:37 -0800
On 1/19/21 12:18 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 1/19/21 12:11 PM, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:40:04 -0800
>> Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org> wrote:

>>> forgot to include dmesg error:
>>> KLD drm.ko: depends on linuxkpi_gplv2 - not available or version
>>> mismatch
>>> linker_load_file: /boot/modules/drm.ko - unsupported file type
>>> KLD amdgpu.ko: depends on drmn - not available or version mismatch
>>> linker_load_file: /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko - unsupported file type
>>>
>>> -pete
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pete Wright
>>> pete_at_nomadlogic.org
>>> _at_nomadlogicLA
>>   Sound like you have an old linuxkpi_gplv2.ko in /boot/kernel/
>>

> Thanks Manu - so it looks like i don't have that file under
> /boot/kernel/ but in /boot/modules instead:
> $ find /boot/ -name '*linuxkpi*' -print
> /boot/modules/linuxkpi_gplv2.ko
> /boot/kernel/linuxkpi.ko
> /boot/kernel.old/linuxkpi.ko
> $ pkg which /boot/modules/linuxkpi_gplv2.ko
> /boot/modules/linuxkpi_gplv2.ko was installed by package
> drm-current-kmod-5.4.62.g20210118
> $
>
> above is after installing the current kmod to see if it behaved
> differently than the devel one.
>
> -pete

interesting - so it seems like if i have drm-devel-kmod installed this
will fail (missing or wrong linuxkpi_gplv2.ko).  this happens both if i
install the pkg and rebuild the kernel, and if i build the kernel w/o
the pkg installed.

yet, if i have the drm-current-kmod pkg installed, then "make
buildkernel" it looks like the i915/amdgpu modules get build and an
"installkernel" drops the linuxkpi_gplv2.ko module under /boot/kernel.
at that point i am able to successfully load the amdgpu.ko.

finally, i install the drm-current-pkg fresh (without doing the above
buildkernel/installkernel) i get the linuxkpi_gplv2 error as above.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete_at_nomadlogic.org