Re: DRM and Radeon

From: Marek Zarychta <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 13:55:38 +0100
W dniu 26.01.2021 o 10:15, Toomas Soome pisze:

>> On 26. Jan 2021, at 10:18, Marek Zarychta
>> <zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl
>> <mailto:zarychtam_at_plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>> wrote:

>>> Any cards in particular?
>>> <https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/kyoxmc/freebsd_quarterly_status_report_fourth_quarter/gjiw3y3/
>>> <https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/kyoxmc/freebsd_quarterly_status_report_fourth_quarter/gjiw3y3/>>
>>> – whilst I didn't mention Radeon there, for me it _was_ the Radeon
>>> story that seemed to improve a few months ago.
>>> <https://bsd-hardware.info/?id=pci:1002-6841-103c-17a9
>>> <https://bsd-hardware.info/?id=pci:1002-6841-103c-17a9>> AMD Thames
>>> [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]
>>

>> For example old RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]. After deprecation of
>> graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod I found that it is still supported fine on
>> 12-STABLE with legacy /boot/kernel/radeonkms.ko from the base. While
>> trying the driver from graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod I was not able to
>> use this card with gdm, only startx or x11/slim worked. On 13-ALPHA
>> this card still works fine with deprecated graphics/drm-legacy-kmod.
>>

> Does X11 cliegdm start X in specific way? I mean, afaik, gdm is nt as
> any other, so the question would be, how does gdm get Xorg started,
> what is different compared to startx etc? Might it be about gdm user
> permissions to access drm devices?
>
> my 2cents..
> toomas

Thanks for the clue, I added user gdm to the group video, but nothing
changed.

Gdm starts, after some delay, but there is no visible username/ password
prompt or it's beyond the viewable area, on the other hand, the viewable
area seems to fit the screen correctly. To start gdm I have to wait a
while until something happens with the resolution of text in the
console. I have to mention that with this driver, the vty console
resolution changes a while after loading the driver and starting all
services (usually it lasts one minute or less after services startup)
and after this time the text on vty can be seen in a kind of window
covering: on first monitor 50% of the screen in left upper corner and on
the second monitor, the viewable area of text console exceeds screen
dimensions, but on both the text in console looks blurry.

Please don't get it wrong it's nether  EFI nor boot loader problem since
this is an old machine with BIOS only and I am booting FreeBSD on this
with GRUB2 (booting, not chainloading). With /boot/kernel/radeonkms.ko
or radeonks.ko from deprecated graphics/drm-legacy-kmod everything looks
fine on vty on both monitors and login and password prompt for gdm
appears correctly. So this is not only gdm issue.

I have tested drm-current-kmod with fresh 14-CURRENT sources and indeed,
it panicked for me. I have installed deprecated drm-legacy-kmod and it
works fine with this old HW and 14-CURRENT.

While writing this post I am using:

FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #3 main-c256281-g25cdacf79b0

drm-legacy-kmod-g20200825

gpu-firmware-kmod-g20201213

--
Marek Zarychta