Re: loading drm crashes system

From: Robert Huff <roberthuff_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 08:01:04 -0500
Hello:

>   > Niclas Zeising asks:
>   > > When did it stop working?
>   >
>   > September ... I _think_.
>
>   Yeah, that sounds about right.
>
>   There are known issues with Radeon cards, they were quite well
>   supported a year ago, then something got broken.  I've promised to
>   bisect this and find the cause, but there were several syscall-related
>   changes in -CURRENT though the course of the last year, so bisecting
>   just the kernel is not enough (machine won't get to login prompt if
>   the userland does not match), which cripples the process.
>
>   I still intend to take this quest, just not sure when. :(

	Expanding on "September ... I think":
	Try September 26 as a reference date.  Sometime close to then I
a) updated world+kernel to the latest version of current, so also b)
updated to the latest drm-current-kmod and gpu-firmware.
	Question: is there a way for the less sophisticated user <waves>
to tell whether the cause is in the drm knod or the firmware kmod?

			Hope this helps,

				Robert Huff

--
Hello ... my name is SARS-CoV-2.