Re: URL for stable/13

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 08:49:12 -0800
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:18:23AM -0800, bob prohaska wrote:
> A while back I obtained a buildable source tree for stable/13
> but it hasn't been updated in the last few days. Running
> git remote show origin
> reports in part
>  Local branch configured for 'git pull':
>     stable/13 merges with remote stable/13
>   Local ref configured for 'git push':
>     stable/13 pushes to stable/13 (local out of date)
>
> Thanks for reading, any hints how to get back in sync apprecidated.
> This is used for self-hosting on a Raspberry Pi, if it matters.

  You didn't say how you were refreshing.  My stable/13 is a little out of
date but just because it hasn't been on.  My upstream repo name is "freebsd"
vs "origin", but that's just a label:

	# git branch
	  main
	* stable/13

  So I think this repo was established after the SVN -> GIT cutover, when 13
was current (this "main") and then switched over to stable/13 during the 13.0
release cycle but not cut over to releng/13.0.  So my "main" branch is stale
below because I haven't been tracking it and my stable/13 branch was out of
date because the VM had been off (not sure how it knew it was out of date, but
beside the point).

	# git remote show freebsd | tail -6
	  Local branches configured for 'git pull':
	    main      merges with remote main
	    stable/13 merges with remote stable/13
	  Local refs configured for 'git push':
	    main      pushes to main      (local out of date)
-->	    stable/13 pushes to stable/13 (local out of date)

  If you just do "git fetch", it'll probably know it is out of date but assume
it is intentional.  It's updating your repo, but not the source you're building
from.  You probably want to do a "git pull":

	# git pull
	Updating d4a0c102a237..2c19b99c2f1c
	Fast-forward
	...lots of changes to individual files...

	# git remote show freebsd | tail -6
	  Local branches configured for 'git pull':
	    main      merges with remote main
	    stable/13 merges with remote stable/13
	  Local refs configured for 'git push':
	    main      pushes to main      (local out of date)
-->	    stable/13 pushes to stable/13 (up to date)

  Does that answer your question?