Re: Waiting for bufdaemon

From: Yasuhiro Kimura <yasu_at_utahime.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 08:33:23 +0900 (JST)
From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Waiting for bufdaemon
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 22:43:58 +0200

> My belief is that this commit helps more users than it hurts.  Namely,
> the VMWare and KVM users, which are majority, use fast timecounter,
> comparing to the more niche hypervisors like VirtualBox.
>
> For you, a simple but manual workaround, setting the timecounter to
> ACPI (?) or might be HPET, with a loader tunable, should do it.

Then please let me know the name of it.

I have experienced same situation several time. That is, I faced a
problem and asked for it on ML. Then I was told to try some tunable.
So I thought there may be tunable that can be used as workaround in
this case. But for those who isn't familiar with kernel internal, it
it quite hard to find it without knowing its name. If all tunable were
listed with brief explanation in one document, then I saw it and could
pick up possible candidates. But actually they are documented
separately among many man pages. So the first difficulty is to find
man page in which possible tunable may be explained. If the problem is
releted to some device, it is most hopeful to check its man page. But
in this case, even after reading the commit message, I had no idea
which man page to check.

---
Yasuhiro Kimura