Re: console: no USB keyboard!

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:42:13 +0200
On 13/03/2021 21:01, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Running 14-CURRENT on several boxes (i.e. FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #49
> main-n245422-cecfaf9bede9: Fri Mar 12 16:08:09 CET 2021 amd64) with custom and/or GENERIC
> kernel and USB-only equipment (mouse if available, keyboard).
> In multiuser mode, there is no problem using the USB keyboard. On single user console
> (for maintenance purposes), no USB keyboard is available. The same is true while booting
> and the rc scripts are worked on. Usually, one can hit the enter key and inserts a
> newline, this doesn't work anymore until the box is completely up!
>
> I do not know when this problem as been introduced, the very same config is used since
> 13-CURRENT in its earlier time and has been modified accordingly, but I can't see obvios
> changes which would explain the wrecked behaviour now.
>
> I got aware of this problem, when a small mistake in /etc/fstab rendered a box
> unbootable, I had to head for the datacenter and wasn't even capable of interrupting the
> stuck system. Checking on other boxes running recent 14-CURRENT revealed the same problem.
>
> The interesting part is, that as long as those boxes are with the loader present (all
> boxes are UEFI booting!), the USB keyboard works as expected and I'm able to select
> kernel/kernel.old and so on.
>
> How to fix this?

Can't help with fixing the problem, but here's some info.
When you are at the loader prompt, BIOS provides emulation of a standard /
legacy keyboard for the USB keyboard.  That's why loader can work even though it
doesn't know much about USB.
When a FreeBSD driver for the USB controller takes over then the BIOS emulation
stops.  Until a FreeBSD peripheral driver like ukbd attaches, it's not possible
to use the keyboad, unfortunately.  You can check your dmesg to see when that
happens.

Personally, I try to avoid "legacy free" solutions and always have a PS/2
keyboard (even if it's a really a USB one using PS/2 <-> USB adapter).

Of course, it would be great to reduce the dead window for USB keyboards and I
think that it is doable.

--
Andriy Gapon