Re: 13.0 RC4 might be delayed

From: David G Lawrence <dg_at_dglawrence.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 18:37:13 -0700

> >> Kevin,
> >>
> >> ?????? Make sure you have these options in your /etc/sysctl.conf :
> >>
> >> vfs.aio.max_buf_aio=8192
> >> vfs.aio.max_aio_queue_per_proc=65536
> >> vfs.aio.max_aio_per_proc=8192
> >> vfs.aio.max_aio_queue=65536
> >>
> >> ?????? ...otherwise the guest I/O will random hang in VirtualBox. This
> >> issue was
> >> mitigated in a late 5.x VirtualBox by patching to not use AIO, but the
> >> issue
> >> came back in 6.x when that patch wasn't carried forward.
> >
> > Sorry I lost that patch. Can you point me to the patch? Maybe it can be
> > easily ported.
> >

> I found the relevant commit. Please give me some time for testing and
> I'll put this patch back in the tree.

   If you're going to put that patch back in, then AIO should probably be
made an option in the port config, as shutting AIO off by default will
have a significant performance impact. Without AIO, all guest IO will
be become synchronous.
   Ideally, someone would fix the AIO case by either increasing the defaults
in FreeBSD to something reasonable, and/or properly handing the case when
an AIO limit is reached.

-DG