Re: CURRENT crashes at early boot on Lenovo T540p: rtsx to blame - 13.0-RELEASE crashes same way!

From: Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon_at_dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 01:34:45 +0900
On Fri, 7 May 2021 16:59:35 +0300
Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> >> 13.0-RELEASE installation media crashes in same way if SD reader is
> >> enabled in BIOS.
> >>

> > I see that rtsx was added to GENERIC.  Might have been premature.
> >
> > The only thing I can recommend is to install with the SD card reader
> > disabled in the BIOS.
>   Yep, it works. Not only install, but booting of installed system too $B".(B any GENERIC kernel panics, even new, built by hands from latest sources.
>
> > It may be the case that rtsx still works even if the card reader is
> > disabled in the BIOS.  That's the first thing I would try out.
>   Nope, it doesn't work (and I don't need it on this Laptop, to be honest). If SD reader is disabled in BIOS, it isn't detected at all.
>
> > If that fails then generate a kernel with rtsx as a module rather than
> > it being hard coded into the kernel.
> >
> > You could then re-enable the SD card reader in the BIOS and load the
> > module to check whether the SD card reader works or causes a panic
> > when the moduke is loaded.  This approach might make it possible to
> > get a crash dump if a problem occurs.
>   Ok, I'll try this, good idea.
>
>   BTW, I've got hints that it it rtsx-related only after ~40 crashes, as most of stack traces don't have rtsx in them and are very generic. Looks like rtsx mangle kernel memory and it crashes in other places/kernel threads.

Have you try

 dev.rtsx.0.inversion=1

in /boot/loader.conf with the device enabled on BIOS?

If not yet, it would be worth trying.

In rtsx(4) manpage,

> $B".(B   RTS522A on Lenovo P50s and Lenovo T470p, card detection and read-only
>      switch are reversed.  This is sovled by adding in loader.conf(5):
>
>      dev.rtsx.0.inversion=1

If it works for you, possibly no one had tested on T540p yet.
And there can be much, much more PCs/chips which need it, but no one has
tested yet.

My rtsx driver on ThinkPad P52 works fine without it, but IIRC,
paniced with it (I did it just a test purpose when it landed).

And one more.
If you insert write-protected card and then mount it as writable,
it SHOULD certainly crash the system.
It's not a rtsx driver issue, but promised to happen.
I've encountered the problem on USB card readers, too.