Mercenary coding (Re: Is there a header conflict?)

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:17:16 -0700
On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:32:24PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:53:16PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > No, it's promptly ignored because it's just useless words that require
> > an implementation before it can be of any use to anyone.
> >
> > I've been offering for several years now to mentor you through the
> > process of developing a prototype that is useful to FreeBSD and to
> > work with you on getting it accepted into FreeBSD, but as usual you're
> > more interested in talking about how cool it would be to have, than in
> > following through with code.
>
> The code is trivial.
>
> > The offer remains open...
>
> I have an implementation.  Offer to let me sell it using the name
> "FreeBSD" without it going back to the FreeBSD source code for a
> year, and then maybe we can make a deal.  My problem with doing
> productization work (and Brett Glass' problem, and a lot of other
> people's problem) is, and remains, use of the trademark without
> an identical-to-disc-1-disc-and-its-sucky-installer in the final
> distribution.  I'd even be willing to accept a license like the
> original soft updates license, where people other than me are not
> allowed to distribute binaries for a year (give me a 1 year exclusive
> on the ISO's I create).

Sorry, that's not part of the deal (and you're trying to change the
subject by regurgitating another tired old debate that was resolved
years ago, and misrepresenting the outcome while you're at it).

Even if it was up to me (it's not), I'm not going to promise my time
and effort in order to put money in your pocket, nor will I promise to
get your possibly half-assed code into FreeBSD, sight unseen.

If you're only going to contribute "trivial" code to FreeBSD in
exchange for money, then you can sod off, because as far as I'm
concerned you have nothing of value to offer this community.

> FWIW: SCO released their Xenix packaging utilities *years* ago;
> if FreeBSD were really interested in the technology, rather than
> some schmuck taking over all the work with none of the money,
> then they'd just take that code and use it directly.

We already have packaging tools that are perfectly adequate for the
use you proposed.  Stop trying to change the subject.

Either go away and work on TerryBSD, contribute to the FreeBSD
community, or continue to infest the mailing lists spouting
irrelevancies.  Please let me know which you choose so I can add you
to my killfile if necessary: by now the amount of faith I have that
you will ever do something I might consider worthwhile is epsilon.

Kris