Re: make release and error while making iso

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:46:59 -0700
If memory serves me right, "Axel S. Gruner" wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:26:45 -0700
> "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > What about:
> >
> > # chroot /data/RELEASE csh
> > # cd /usr/src/release
> > # make iso.1

Er, make that last line:

# make iso.1 -DMAKE_ISOS

Oops.

> Now it works for me. Not the way it is described in man release, but i works:
>
> #/data/lbsd_de/lbsd_de/src/release/: ln -s /data/RELEASE/R /R
> #/data/lbsd_de/lbsd_de/src/release/: make iso.1 -DMAKE_ISOS

OK.  Most of "make release" runs inside a chroot sandbox (for you, this
is /data/RELEASE).  The two lines you gave above are kind of a hack to
let you run "make iso.1" from outside the sandbox.

> > Normally what I do when building a release is to put all of the
> > arguments to "make release" into a text file that I can copy-and-paste,
> > so I know I'm not forgetting anything.
>
> I have also a text file with all the stuff i need for an perfect "make releas
> e". But i am at the beginning of this adventure ;). But well, it is very simp
> le to understand, and, if you know how, very simple to use.
> But i also have always a text file, also that i know i am not forgetting anyt
> hing (maybe a little paranoid...maybe...).

What I didn't state before (but should have) was that if you use
-DMAKE_ISOS as a part of every release that you build, you don't need to

release(7) seems to be missing the fact that the "Targets called by
'make release'" are only intended to be run from inside the sandbox, and
not by the person building the release.

Bruce.