Re: distcc and freebsd

From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe_at_hackerheaven.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:43:34 +0200
Op maandag 11 augustus 2003 19:26, schreef Christer Gundersen:
> anyone gotten this to work?

Yes, I have.

> It seems like I cant. I followed the howto on their page, but it seems
> like distccd dont startup right. ('ps aux' shows distccd running)
> Like, distccd runs but it dont open the port that it needs. I even tried
> using 'distccd --daemon -p 80' , but nmap did not find it, nor does a
> 'telnet localhost 80' seem to find anything.
> The monitor does not seem to respond either.

Distcc wants to drop down it's privs (it doesn't like runnig as root). And
seeming that you are trying to bind distcc to a priviledged port, no wonder
it won't listen. Best is to create a locked distcc user without a shell that
can't log in. Then just run distccd, and edit the distcc hosts file so you
can distribute complies across machines. Don't forget to use -j flags with
make.

To see if distccd is doing compile jobs, you can always attach a strace(1) (or
maybe even truss) to it's pid and watch if it's doing someting.

HTH

Cheers,
Emiel
--
If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.