Re: distcc and freebsd

From: Christer Gundersen <chgu_at_carebears.mine.nu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:12:46 +0200
On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 19:43, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> Op maandag 11 augustus 2003 19:26, schreef Christer Gundersen:
> > anyone gotten this to work?
>
> Yes, I have.
>
> > It seems like I cant. I followed the howto on their page, but it seems
> > like distccd dont startup right. ('ps aux' shows distccd running)
> > Like, distccd runs but it dont open the port that it needs. I even tried
> > using 'distccd --daemon -p 80' , but nmap did not find it, nor does a
> > 'telnet localhost 80' seem to find anything.
> > The monitor does not seem to respond either.
>
> Distcc wants to drop down it's privs (it doesn't like runnig as root). And
> seeming that you are trying to bind distcc to a priviledged port, no wonder
> it won't listen. Best is to create a locked distcc user without a shell that
> can't log in. Then just run distccd, and edit the distcc hosts file so you
> can distribute complies across machines. Don't forget to use -j flags with
> make.
>
> To see if distccd is doing compile jobs, you can always attach a strace(1) (or
> maybe even truss) to it's pid and watch if it's doing someting.

I followed the http://distcc.samba.org/ howto. Like this;

1.For each machine, download distcc, unpack, and do
./configure && make && sudo make install
(distcc is ports. i used the one in the ports)

2. On each of the servers, run distccd --daemon, with --allow options to
restrict access.
(did this. no respons. I also tried using
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/distccd.sh.sample, I guess thats the script i want
to use)

3. Put the names of the servers in your environment:
export DISTCC_HOSTS='localhost red green blue'
(Yeap, I did this. 'export DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost tugs hugs"'

4. Build!
(I tried 'make buildworld CC=/usr/local/bin/distcc' in /usr/src. It
build, but distccmon-gnome shows me nothing. (i also did a ps aux on one
of the machines, and it does not use any CPU power on distcc/gcc/cc)

(The distccd is started up. I can also connect to it now(telnet
<hostname> 3632)

--
Med Vennlig Hilsen / Best regards
Christer Gundersen / dizzy tun3Z