Re: nvidia.ko freezes system in -current

From: Martin <nakal_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:41:07 +0000
On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:40, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I cvsuped world and kernel today, built world, installed world,
> did a reinstall (with compilation) of the nvidia module 1.0-4365
> and the kernel module loads fine but when I startx I get
> a few screen flashes and the reboot.
>
> I have agp_load="YES" in loader.conf (as I had before).
> I did not choose WITH_FREBSD_AGP as the port makefile
> gives as option.

I had this effect earlier. XFree was "trying" to change to
graphics mode a few times and then fell back to text-mode.
I could only see some weird characters on my display.
Then the PC was in an unusable state, but if I holded down
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> long enough it rebooted, so it was not
frozen.

I wanted to confirm your problem today, because I recognized
the symptoms, but I failed :)

I have:
FreeBSD xxx.local 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0:
Wed Jul 30 20:38:47 CEST

XFree-ports:
XFree86-4.3.0,1
XFree86-FontServer-4.3.0_1
XFree86-Server-4.3.0_8
XFree86-clients-4.3.0_2
XFree86-documents-4.3.0
XFree86-font100dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-font75dpi-4.3.0
XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.3.0
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.3.0
XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0
XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_5

nvidia-driver-1.0.4365 was compiled today with:
make install WITH_FREEBSD_AGP=yes

My /boot/loader.conf is:
agp_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
linux_load="YES"
linprocfs_load="YES"

It works again! :) Perhaps I could help.

Martin

PS.: Don't set option "RenderAccel" in the device section
     it has weird effects on rendering smaller images.