Re: [acpi-jp 2851] Re: Compaq Presario 2105US ACPI = NO MOUSE

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:30:32 -0700 (MST)
In message: <XFMail.20031205152458.jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> writes:
:
: On 05-Dec-2003 Nate Lawson wrote:
: > My first order of business after 5.2R will be to import acpica 20031203.
: > It has a lot of fixes in it that may take care of marginal AML.  After
: > that, I'll be adding code to call _PSx on ACPI-attached devices (not PCI,
: > that's in imp's tree).  This may initialize your hw properly.
:
: Hey, I'd actually like some thoughts on the power stuff in the p4 power
: tree.  I want to remove my cruft to just mess with _PSx since the
: power resource code is much more mature and just use that from the PCI
: drivers.  For that to work correctly however, we will need to perhaps
: do a pass over the ACPI tree early on (before child PCI bus devices are
: attached I think) that registers all the producers and consumers.

I think that's right, but something sounds odd about it.

: We also might want to fix the register functions to use _PSC if it
: is available to determine the current power state and then add code
: to power consumers on before we probe/attach them.  Note that with
: the current power resource code, this would only call _PS0 if it
: really needed to be called.

I've been running with the 'bare' pci part of the power code in my
tree for some time now.  Devices that are in power states other than
D0 are brought to D0 (after saving the config space and restoring it
as required in the spec).  Devices taht don't attach (or later detach)
get powered down to D3, if they support it.  Adding additional calls
to the ACPI stuff wouldn't be hard, but hasn't been a priority for me.

Warner