please see PR 59688 (re: [solved] Re: kernel hangs during boot)

From: <pseniura_at_techie.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:20:24 -0600 (CST)
I filed a PR several weeks ago on this 'device-md'-in-the-kernel bug.
The PR has yet to be assigned.
Now it's gone out to 5.2-Release, I bet everyone is going to see this bug.

________

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Wesley Morgan wrote:
>
> > > Eh, this is you hitting the gdb key.  how about 'ps'?
> >
> > Hooray for serial consoles!
>
> You didn't compile with BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER? you still hit the ddb key :)
>
> I'm still not seeing anything hanging. Have you tried booting with -v and
> seeing if ata is trying anything, for instance?

Ok, I've found the culprit:

options        MD_ROOT_SIZE=10

Removing that from my kernel config allows it to boot (this is
some cruft left over from previous experiments). As for WHY it won't boot,
I'll leave that to those with much more knowledge than me!

________