Re: please see PR 59688 (re: [solved] Re: kernel hangs during boot)

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:40:36 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 pseniura_at_techie.com wrote:

> I filed a PR several weeks ago on this 'device-md'-in-the-kernel bug.
> The PR has yet to be assigned.
> Now it's gone out to 5.2-Release, I bet everyone is going to see this bug.

Enabling MD_ROOT_SIZE specifies that a MDROOT has been compiled into the
kernel, and gives its size so the volume will be appropriately
initialized.  So specifying this option in the beginning was a mistake.
There is absolutely no need for MD_ROOT_SIZE in any production kernel,
unless you are booting diskless or some other special need.

I think we have to blame PEBKAC on this although a word of caution in
NOTES is probably warranted.