Re: nss and pthreads and wine, oh my!

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:56:24 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Craig Boston wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 08:50 am, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > One other thing.  When you are building wine, can you search its
> > sources for ldt_keeper.c or something like that?  It may need
> > a patch to work with libthr and libkse.  You can see similar
> > patches for mplayer and libxine which both have an ldt_keeper.c
> > with comments saying it is taken from wine.
>
> Hmm, ok, I'll have to warn you though, the wine source tree is pretty much the
> only thing other than gcc that I find more intimidating than libc/threads :)
>
> Wine doesn't have an ldt_keeper.c file.  The only file I could find that
> actually calls i386_set_ldt is libs/wine/ldt.c, which seems to be keeping its
> own table of which LDTs have been used.  Strange -- usually the kernel
> complains about processes that don't use allocate them dynamically but wine
> doesn't seem to trigger that warning.
>
> Despite the claims of the mplayer patch, I was unable to find LDT_AUTO_ALLOC
> anywhere in the wine sources.

The mplayer patch is to make it use LDT_AUTO_ALLOC.  The ldt
fiddling code (taken from wine) doesn't use LDT_AUTO_ALLOC,
so I had to make it use it.  See if you can patch wine to
use LDT_AUTO_ALLOC; it shouldn't be calling i386_set_ldt()
any other way.

BTW, you only get the first 10 occurrences of static ldt
allocation warnings from the kernel.  It stops printing
them after 10.

> Oh, just for reference, neither of the machines in question are using the
> nvidia driver.

Good.

--
Dan Eischen