Re: cable detection

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:47:39 +0100 (CET)
It seems Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> I have a junky machine with a UDMA-33 cable between a UDMA-66
> controller and drives.   Using a year old -current, the ATA driver
> complains that the cables aren't capable of UDMA66 operation, and
> throttles things back to UDMA33.
>
> Using -current from ~1 week ago,  this no longer happens and I get:

Hmm, thats because that now I ask the controller for cable info (it
should know best) and that apparently fails here...

> I realize that this is not a whole lot to go on, but it seems to be
> wedged here, and the machine is 3000 miles away, so a verbose boot
> will have to wait for people to arrive at the office in CA.

:) well, I do have experimental code that throttle back DMA on errs...

> I was just wondering if this was a known issue,  or if there was a way
> to make things gracefully fall back to UDMA33 (aside from disabling
> DMA at in the loader, and then using atacontrol to enable it after boot)

No, I was under the impression that it worked on the ICH, I'll check
docs and code again...

-Søren
                       .. but it works under windows!!