Re: Distorted sound on -CURRENT

From: Munish Chopra <chopra_at_soulwax.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:55:56 -0500
On 2003-12-17 10:10 +0000, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a long time I have had problems with sound on my ThinkPad, which has
> a rather sucky Crystal chipset. The problems consist of skips and pops
> and crackles when playing back audio, and makes it hopeless to listen to
> any kind of music while working (or playing ;).
>
> There have been attempts at fixing this earlier, which has helped
> somewhat, but I always thought this was a problem on my chipset only -
> but this does not seem to be the case.
>
> I have now tested in a machine that has a SB Live! card (snd_emu10k1
> module), and I'm experience the same problems, just even more pronounced
> than with the Crystal chipset.
>
> The interesting thing is - this is a non-issue in all 4.x versions of
> FreeBSD, and it's a non-issue in all other OSes I have tried on the
> respective computers. I am therefore led to believe there has been some
> kind of screwup with the PCM or chipset drivers in -CURRENT, or perhaps
> in some underlying code. This has been a problem atleast since
> 5.1-RELEASE, and I do believe (but cannot confirm) it was a problem with
> 5.0-RELEASE aswell. Choice of scheduler (SCHED_4BSD or SCHED_ULE) has no
> influence, neither has there been any difference before or after the
> i386 interrupt code switch.
>
> I home someone can have a look at this, it is of minor importance but
> major annoyance - and personally I think it should be (attempted) fixed
> before 5.2-RELEASE, if possible. It does make a bad impression on
> people, even in a FreeBSD-house such as the one I am working for right
> now.

Please take a look at the ongoing thread entitled '5.2-RELEASE TODO',
which early on turned into a discussion about problems like the ones
you're having. Take note of Mathew Kaner's reply to me explaining what
output to provide that could help things along. Perhaps your output will
yield more valuable insight than mine.

Thanks.

--
Munish Chopra