Re: Trying to install 5.2 RC2, failed ftp install

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:41:39 -0700
Clint Olsen wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I hope that I got the list correct for this since this is a release
> candidate.  I'm trying to boot a CD and install over the net.  To keep
> things simple, I'm installing everything.  I configure my network
> interface, and when I install the base package, I get a "write on transfer
> failed".
>
> I toggled over to the debug console, and I saw this:
>
> /stand/gunzip: <fd:0>: too many length or distance symbols
> /stand/cpio: premature end of file
>
> Is the 5.2 install broken?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Clint

I just did a successful FTP install of 5.2-RC2 using the 'bootonly' ISO
image to start the process, then set sysinstall to use passive FTP from
ftp.freebsd.org.

Unfortunately, using real floppies to start sysinstall resulted in
a endless stream of VM Fault panics that went by too fast to copy down.

Scott