Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

From: Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_technokratis.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:40:02 +0000
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 03:01:24PM -0600, Stephane Raimbault wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE with the SMP kernel and ran across the
> following kernel panic.
>
> panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 275251200 total allocated
>
> I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this, what kind of
> information that I could provide to this group (or other group?) to see if
> this is a bug in FreeBSD that needs to be looked into?
>
> The box is basically a busy apache server... the kernel panic seemed to
> occur during the periodic daily was running.  It seems to complete the
> 440.status-mailq part of periodic daily , but doesn't do
> 450.status-security.
>
> This isn't the first time the box has crashed at aprox. 3:01 am (when daily
> runs)... however this is the first time I've seend the kernel panic message
> quoted above in the /var/run/dmesg.boot file.
>
> I have attached the entire /var/run/dmesg.boot file to this message.
>
> What can I do to assist in identifiying and resolving this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephane Raimbault.

  Just a few things:

  1) Do you have PAE enabled?

  2) Can you upgrade to src/sys/kern/kern_malloc.c version 1.126 or
  upgrade to HEAD?

  If you have PAE enabled and (2) does not fix your problem, then please
  post a stack trace that resulted in the panic.  You also have a lot of
  RAM so if (2) above does not fix your problem, try setting the
  kern.vm.kmem.size bootable to approximately 350,000,000 or so (even
  400,000,000 is OK as long as NMBCLUSTERS is not too-too high).

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic_at_technokratis.com  *  bmilekic_at_FreeBSD.org
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/