Re: fuword(), suword(), etc.

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:40:51 -0700
Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > for i386 it would be an alternate name for fuword32() and suword32()
> > I'm not sure what it would be on other architectures....
>
> fuword64 and suword64. PowerPC is like i386.

PPC 970 explicitly supports mixed mode programming between user
and kernel, as do most other 64 bit processors, in order to support
legacy applications.

It's actually unlikely that IBM will ever release enough documentation
to get a full 64 bit Linux running on a PPC 970, let alone FreeBSD,
and that you will be stuck with a 32 bit kernel that runs 64 bit apps,
and which talks to IBM's internal undocumented glue on the bottom end
while running in a virtual environment, such that the interfaces to
that glue are not exposed in the source code they publish.

-- Terry