Re: ACPI Regression in -CURRENT?

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:37:35 -0700
> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:12:06 +0200
> From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org

> > | Note that you have to patch the output of iasl -d, *NOT* the .asl file
> > | that acpidump generates. There is a difference although they look alike.
> >
> > Aha.  But the diff you included clearly indicated it was a patch for
> > insp4150.asl.  When I told patch to patch insp4150.dsl instead, using
> > your patch, it applied cleanly, and moreover the fix now works to the
> > extent that I don't get those error messages anymore.
> >
> > To be precise, I followed your exact instructions with this
> > difference:
> >
> > # patch insp4150.dsl insp4150.patch
>
> I'm sorry, like I wrote the earlier procedure was typed off of the top
> of my head, and wasn't verified. I should have done that.

> > | According to Mark, this actually should work from within X --
> > | something to do with DPMS.
> >
> > Still doesn't for me.  Same result.  Maybe I should learn what DPMS
> > stands for.
>
> Something with display power management. But maybe it's something else
> then. Glad to hear the ACPI messages got sorted out at least :)

There are two problems I see with s3 on my ThinkPad (T30):
1. The display back-light stays on. (The bit rot of the display is at
   least novel. Brings back the 60s and and psychodelia!)

2. The disk spins down INSTANTLY. If the is any un-written data in the
   write cache, you may have a problem.

I have noticed that when I suspend in XP, there is a delay of about 3
seconds before the system actually suspends. It even display a window
that says "Preparing the system for sleep" or something similar. I
suspect that at least one function of this is to give the disk caches
time to flush. They probably do a DOS equivalent of an sync, as well.

I think that this delay needs to be available as I suspect that at
least some BIOSes require it to avoid disk corruption.

I suspect that XP does something to stop the video and turn off the
back-light, but I have no way of guessing what. In V4 days I could use
apmd to switch to a vty on suspend, but I have not looked into whether
that will work with ACPI.

ACPI basically works, but the rough bits keep me on APM.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)