Multiple cardbus devices? (RFI)

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:18:00 -0500
In continuing my quest to make FreeBSD current run flawlessly on my
laptop, I'm trying to track down some issues with using multiple cardbus
cards (more info on my particular problem and a workaround at the end of
this message).  I'd like to gather some information from people who have
cardbus controllers with multiple slots and two or more cards to test.
I'd appreciate it if some people could take a few minutes and privately
send me the following information:

1. Attach message for the cardbus controller (including model and
resources)
2. Attach messages for the first card
3. Attach messages for the second card
4. Whether or not both cards work correctly
5. Any odd messages on unplugging the cards

It would be nice to see if this differs depending on the order in which
the cards are inserted.  Bootverbose is good for an extra bonus, but
even plain dmesg output is useful.

----- The problem I've been seeing occurs on this controller:
cbb0: <TI1450 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x42000000-0x42000fff irq 11 at
device 4.0 on pci0
cbb1: <TI1450 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x42080000-0x42080fff irq 11 at
device 4.1 on pci0

I have reason to suspect that it may be an alignment issue.  Devices
which allocate 4096 bytes, such as the two ohci components on a USB
card, seem to work regardless.  Devices which only allocate 256 bytes
(ehci, xl) seem to interfere with each other.

I've tried an awful hack of forcing a minimum size of 0x1000 for all
resource allocations made by cardbus devices to make sure they're
page-aligned and it seems to be working.  There are occasional
watchdog timeouts on the xl device, but it is at least functioning at
the same time as the USB.

Craig