RE: HP ProLiant DL360G3 rebuttal... ;-)

From: Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) <"Cagle,>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:23:14 -0500

That is not quite right.  Let me try to clarify this:

With the new BIOS, hardware fan control will start the fans at a slow
speed, and will increase the fan speed (in one step) to high when a
critical temperature is reached.  You do not need the health driver for
this to occur.  With hardware fan control disabled, the fans will start
at the high speed at boot and will never run slower.

> BTW: about 13% (4 out of 30) of the shipped DL360G3 dual xeon
> systems had one heatsink not properly mounted (gave no
> problems with W2K, but FreeBSD SMP got ungraceful shutdowns
> after a few minutes). Remounting cpu-heatsinks helped :-)

Thanks for letting me know about this.  I will forward this data to our
quality team.  It sounds like an assembly line problem - I'll bet it was
CPU #2 that was not properly installed.

Thanks,
John