Re: 5.0-R won't boot partition 60G into a drive

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh_at_starjuice.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 17:30:42 +0200
On (2003/05/17 01:23), Cliff L. Biffle wrote:

> Well, I've run into an odd bug that I haven't seen before.  Methinks it's in
> the bootloader.  If this is  a known bug or has been fixed since 5.0R, lemme
> know.
>
> It goes something like this: workstation contains one 120GB IDE drive.  The
> first 60G is Win2k, the second is FreeBSD, in theory at least.  Install
> completes successfully.
>
> When I get to the bootloader prompt and hit F2, it just beeps at me and
> refuses to proceed.

For as long as I remember, FreeBSD has had issues booting a kernel
beyond the first 1GB of a disk.  Some time last year, changes were made
that allowed for this, but they were backed out because they caused
other problems, and I don't remember them being brought back in.

The solution many folks (including me) have used to get around this has
been to make the first partition on the disk a small root partition for
FreeBSD, then leave a partition reserved for Windows, and then continue
with FreeBSD's partitions.

This is easy if you install FreeBSD first, then install Windows and then
reinstall the boot loader from the CDROM.

Ciao,
Sheldon.