ssh and fixit CD?

From: Farid Hajji <me_at_farid-hajji.de>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 03:51:21 +0200
Hi,

could someone please verify/confirm that ssh
is useable from sysinstall's fixit mode (using
the fixit CD)?

The reason I'm asking this is as follows:

1. I'm dump(8)ing all filesystems (including
/, /usr, ...) to a remote dumphost, piping
dump's output via ssh and dd.

2. I'd like to be able to restore a root
disk's filesystems (not only filesystems
with production data) from the dumphost
using the fixit mode and a mounted fixit CD.

In 4.x, this doesn't work, because the random
number generator doesn't get initialized (?).
There may be issues with host keys initialization
as well.

Up until now, I could only restore
a root disk (a.k.a / and /usr) by slipping
the drive in a working box and restoring from
there. I'm sure there is a better way, at least
with a working ssh in fixit mode.

Sorry, I should have verified this with 5.1-BETA
CDs before posting, but I don't have the bandwidth
to D/L them right now. Perhaps the problem is
already fixed?

Thanks,

-FH.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Management.
http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html