Re: ssh and fixit CD?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:36:55 +0930
On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:21, Farid Hajji wrote:
> In 4.x, this doesn't work, because the random
> number generator doesn't get initialized (?).
> There may be issues with host keys initialization
> as well.
>
> Up until now, I could only restore
> a root disk (a.k.a / and /usr) by slipping
> the drive in a working box and restoring from
> there. I'm sure there is a better way, at least
> with a working ssh in fixit mode.
>
> Sorry, I should have verified this with 5.1-BETA
> CDs before posting, but I don't have the bandwidth
> to D/L them right now. Perhaps the problem is
> already fixed?

I believe it is fixed but I'm not 100% sure.

I also think you can work around the lack of /dev/random by kldload'ing the
random module before trying to use ssh.

I don't think you need to generate host keys if you are only using ssh (vs
sshd)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5