Re: Updating -CURRENT, what about outdated files?

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 06:44:19 +0300
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:35:17PM -0400, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On one of my systems, I like to track -CURRENT, so I do a lot of:
> - cvsup
> - make buildworld
> - make buildkernel
> - make installkernel
> - mergemaster -p
> - make installworld
> - mergemaster
>
> If I do this a lot, then sometimes my installed world may have
> outdated libraries and header files.  How can I make sure that
> my installed tree doesn't have outdated stuff?
>
> For example, just before doing make installworld, I sometimes do:
> rm -r /usr/include
>
> I am too scared to do this for /usr/lib or any other directory.
>
> Is there a good way to do what I want?

I do this a lot too.  And I use "find . -mtime +1 ! -type d" to
seek for the stale stuff.  This of course requires that you're
not running with ``INSTALL="install -C"'' in /etc/make.conf.
Things that are installed with -C, or aren't touched if they
already exist, should not be deleted.  I use the common sense
and my experience when deciding if I should delete a particular
file or not.  I also keep the output of the previous "make
distrib-dirs distribution" run in /var/tmp/`date +%Y%m%d`, and
this allows me to remove stake directories and other stuff that
is not affected by "installworld", like /etc.  But then again,
this is probably because I don't use mergemaster(8).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru_at_sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,