Re: Unexpected error in 'make buildkernel'

From: Juan Fco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh_at_it.uc3m.es>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:34:45 +0200 (CEST)
David Wolfskill said:
>>From: Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jrh_at_it.uc3m.es>
>>To: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>, freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Unexpected error in "make buildkernel"
>>Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:33:40 +0200
>
>>On Monday 26 May 2003 18:21, David Wolfskill wrote:
>>> Did you do a (successful) "make buildworld" before starting the "make
>>> buildkernel"?
>
>>Yes, I did.
>
> OK.
>
>>I hope the following has nothing to do with this problem,
>>but I tell you in case it has:
>
>>I had to change "libc.so" and "libc_r.so" to point to
>>to "libc.so.4" (copied from a FreeBSD-4.7 release)
>>instead of "libc.so.5" because when
>>I tried to launch gnome applications (after installing
>>gnome2 using the pakages), it always failed telling
>>me something about "nl_lang.." not found or something
>>like that.
>
> That seems very wrong.
>
> At most, I would have expected that the old(er) versions of the
> libraries would need to be placed in a "compat" directory.

Hello again: :)

Are you telling me that I should put "libc.so.4" into
"/compat/linux/usr/lib" ?. But those files aren't linux.
I don't quite catch what you mean when you say 'need to
be placed in a "compat" directory'. Would you mind
explaning to me how that can be done or pointing me
some url to learn more about it (I mean, learn about
how "compat" directory works) ?

I'm going to follow your advice and Im going to start
the "make buildworld" again, problably in a couple
of days. Thank you very much for your help!!!

PS: you've got a funny domain, catwhisker (lol)