Re: programs not running under strace

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:10:58 -0500
In the last episode (May 30), Christopher Nehren said:
> I've been having problems recently with strace. Here's example output
> (no, nothing is left out):
>
> % strace /bin/ls
>
> And it doesn't print anything. I've tried building it without my CPUTYPE
> /etc/make.conf variable (set to athlon-tbird; no other variables are
> defined in make.conf except for the BDECFLAGS and some Perl stuff),
> and I still get the same results. I'd like to be able to provide more
> information, but I would probably use strace to do this in a normal
> circumstance. :-) If someone can direct me to how I can retrieve more
> information on the issue, I would be more than happy to employ it.

If you hit ^T, does it print [iowait]?  If so, I'm seeing the same
thing :)  It's intermittent, though.  If I ru "ps axl | grep strace", I
get:

75838  v5  S+     0:00.01 strace ls
75839  v5  TL+    0:00.00 strace ls

It looks like strace forked a child, and it's hanging before it's able
to run ls.  If I kill -CONT 75839, the child exec's ls and strace
traces it just fine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com