Re: panic with cdrecord -- anybody else seeing this? [backtrace obtained]

From: Marius Strobl <marius_at_alchemy.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:39:35 +0200
On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:18:08PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 06:32:21PM -0700, John Reynolds wrote:
> > Hi all, forgive me if I give incomplete information. This is the first time
> > I've created a debugging kernel and gotten a dump after a panic, so I might not
> > have done everything right.
> >
> > Ever since the tail end of July it seems, any time I've tried to burn a CD with
> > cdrecord (cdrtools 2.0.3 from ports) I get a panic
> >
> >   vm_fault_copy_wired: page missing
> >
> > General busy-ness and the thought that "somebody will see it too and fix it"
> > has prevented me from caring too much about it until now, but it seems it's
> > still there in the kernel from Oct 11th, and I figured I might as well try to
> > provide somebody some information ......
>
> Thanks..Alan made a commit which he thought might have fixed this, but
> someone else also claimed it did not.
>
> See also
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/56380

And
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/57611

The latter is a bit more detailed and correct (it's not limited to ATAPI
burners). It also doesn't seem to be limited to cdrecord, the latest
ntpd also causes a panic when using mlockall(2) as reported on this list,
however the backtrace looks different.
Btw., the cdrtools-devel port contains a workaround.