UFS file system problem in either stable or current

From: Dan Strick <strick_at_covad.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
There seems to be an inconsistency between release 4.9-RC and 5.1 ufs
support.  If I fsck the same ufs (type 1 of course) file system on
both releases, each claims that the other has left incorrect
summary data in the superblock.  Presumably only one can be correct.
I just don't know which to blame.

I couldn't find a FreeBSD problem report about bad summary data.
I will submit one, but since FreeBSD 4.9 is about to be released,
someone might like to check this out.

I happen to have multiple FreeBSD operating systems installed on
the same computer.  This might also be an issue if you move an
external disk between computers.  I don't know if the problem shows
up on all file systems.  It seems to happen on all the half dozen
or so of the file systems that my 4.9-RCx and 5.1 systems share.

Dan Strick
strick_at_covad.net