Re: ethercons: ethernet console driver for 5-current

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:30:41 -0700
Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >As with the Linux driver, communication happens at the ethernet link
> >layer, using protocol number 0x0666 (entertaining choice).
>
> If Linux is using 0x0666, we should probably pick a different number
> since we're not wire compatible.  Though coming up with a common
> protocol would be even better.

0x666 hex is 1638 decimal, and it's taken:

cnip            1638/tcp  CableNet Info Protocol
cnip            1638/udp  CableNet Info Protocol

Basically, this is just an experimental protocol that's being played
with here, and if it ever becomes real, then it will need an IANA
protocol number assignment before it's widely deployed.

-- Terry