cp -Rp /a_dir/w_sub_dirs to gbde vnode on SmartMedia Card locks system

From: Donald Creel <donxc_at_verizonmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:35:58 -0500
This has been reproducible for the last few weeks. System will crash if
I am strictly from ttyv(n) or using KDE3.x and drag and drop.
By crash, I mean that kb and mouse will lock up if in XFree86, and if
only at virtual terminal, eventually all 8 will quit responding to commands,
though the commands make it to the display, passwords are in cleartext if
I enter them at the login prompt.
I have tried near the beginning of the event to kill gbde related
processes from the second ttyv(n), which does seem to extend the time
before the system has to be powered.

However, if I just copy a bunch of files from a single directory, all is ok.
At this time I have not tried to copy a directory containing only files.

relevant kernel config :
makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
#
options		GEOM_BDE
# Debugging for use in -current
options 	DDB			#Enable the kernel debugger
options 	INVARIANTS		#Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options 	INVARIANT_SUPPORT	#Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options 	WITNESS			#Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options 	WITNESS_SKIPSPIN	#Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

--end kernel config---

-bash-2.05b$ uname -a
FreeBSD dons.donxcz 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Wed Oct 22 04:44:38 CDT 2003
root_at_dons.donxcz:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DONS  i386

Following are steps to mount Encrypted File System on
Olympus D-380 Digital Camera SmartMedia:

1. Mount Digital Camera
mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt

2. Create virtual device that points to img file.
mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 9 -f /mnt/dcim/efs.img

3. Attach virtual device to efs.img
gbde attach /dev/md9 -l /etc/gbde/md9.key

4. Mount EFS
mount /dev/md9.bde /myefs