Re: ATAng - copying atapi CD

From: Sean Kelly <smkelly_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:10:56 -0500
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:56:24PM -0400, Bryan Liesner wrote:

> I have a perl script that dd's each audio track from an audio cd.  The
> tracks are copied just fine until it gets about 75% into a 70 minute
> cd.  dd then gets slower and slower until it seems to grind to a halt.
> eventually, I'll set TIMEOUT messages and won't be able to kill the
> current dd process.   Same results with DMA or PIO modes.  Shorter
> (40 minute) CDs make it through the process OK.
>
> Soren's crdao 1.1.7 for ATAng also grinds to a halt when copying a cd.

I saw this on ATAold as well, using cdparanoia, dd, dagrab, etc. I just
chalked it up to my drive being stupid, though it did it on several audio
discs. So, maybe it isn't me after all? I don't recall seeing any timeout
messages, though.

And when I say ATAold, I mean ATAold from a week or so before the ATAng
commit.

--
Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly_at_FreeBSD.org | http://www.sean-kelly.org/